With custom domains you can reach the content you created on involve.me using your own domain name. This feature gives you full control over the URLs of your projects. All custom domains on involve.me include a SSL certificate and provide encrypted HTTPS connectivity.
- An active Business or Agency plan is required to use custom domains
- You need to have access to the DNS settings of the domain you want to use (usually this is part the control center of the hosting provider where you registered your domain)
- Custom involve.me domains are always subdomains: SUBDOMAIN.mydomain.com (this can also be www if you do not host a website there)
- If you have a CAA record set up for your domain, make sure to include "amazonaws.com" in the list of allowed Certification Authority Authorizations, else your custom domain can not be activated
Types of custom domains
Custom organization domain
This type of domain changes the URLs of all your involve.me projects (except those who have their own custom project domain). When the setup is completed, each project URL will consist of your organization domain and the URL snippet you specified for the project. You can also use the root domain by making a project with the URL snippet "start". You can only have one organization domain.
Custom project domains
This type of custom domain changes the URL only for the project it was specified for. If there is a custom organization domain in place, it will be overridden for the specified project. The project is directly reachable on your domain name. You can change the assigned project for the domain anytime, just be aware that only one project can be assigned to it at the same time.
Set up your custom domain
Step 1: Add your domain name on involve.me
To add your custom domain, please go to the custom domains page in your dashboard.
Enter your custom domain in this format (without https or slashes): subdomain.mydomain.com and double check the spelling before you click "Connect".
If you cannot click "Connect", please check that your subdomain format is correct.
Important: Be aware that you can only remove a custom domain and replace it with another domain once every 30 days. Custom domains for other than monthly or yearly plans can only be changed for good reason (provided proof that the domain was transferred away, company was rebranded etc.)
Step 2: Create the CNAME DNS records with your provider
After your custom domain was added you need to configure the Domain Name System (DNS) settings for it. You find the required DNS entries on the custom domains page.
- Login to your domain provider (eg. GoDaddy)
- Navigate to the DNS management page of your domain
- Find the DNS/CNAME record settings
- Create two new records of type CNAME
- Enter the two DNS entries provided in the involve.me dashboard (your provider may require you to only enter the subdomain part of the host entries)
- It can take up to 24 hours for the new DNS entries to be propagated by your domain provider.
- After involve.me has successfully verified your DNS entries the custom domain will be activated on your account. We will confirm this via an email notification.
Important: You need to have both DNS entries active as long as you want to keep using your custom domain. Your custom domain also only works as long as your plan is active. All pages reached by your custom domain are still hosted on our servers - we do not publish anything to your server.
Please be aware that your custom domain only works for published projects. Projects in Draft status are not available on your custom domain. You can still use the standard involve.me domains for your projects even if a custom domain is active at the same time.
Special projects: Homepage / 404 Not Found Page
- start: This project is loaded if your custom organization domain is opened without the project URL snippet.
- 404: This project is opened if a custom domain has a project URL snippet that cannot be found.
You can set these special projects by going to the settings of the preferred project and changing the Project URL to "start" or "404".
Pricing for additional custom domains
Our Agency plan includes one custom domain. Our business plan provides the option to purchase a custom domain.
The monthly price per additional custom domain option for Agency or Business plans is 35 USD. Additional domains can be cancelled on a monthly basis. Contact our support team to make a purchase request or for more information.
Good to know
If you are using Cloudflare for your custom domain, make sure not to route your CNAME entries through Cloudflare. Click the Cloud icon to make sure it is grey as shown here: